Ah yes….meetings the thing none of us can avoid. Whether you serve in the ministry or work at a secular job we all encounter the joy of having to go to meetings for our occupation. In the last 2 days I have had 4 meetings that I have had to attend. Some meetings we attend can be great and accomplish a lot while others can seem to drag on like a never-ending marathon of the TV show “Whitney”. There are times we are able to collaborate with others who work alongside us and accomplish great things and there are other times that we might feel like we are having a meeting just to have a meeting.
Here are some of my personal thoughts and questions about meetings…
- Do we even need a meeting?
- Do we have to sit down for this meeting or can we do it standing up to make it shorter?
- What will be the structure of our meeting? What are we trying to accomplish?
- Am I respecting people’s time with the meeting by keeping it productive and moving to accomplish our goals?
After the meeting ask yourself?
- Did we accomplish the purpose we set out to with our meeting?
- How will the churches mission advance because of what was discussed?
- What was learned from the meeting?
When it comes to meetings what are some of the things you have done to make them the most effective? What are some of the biggest time wasters? What are some important principles you try to use when you are leading meetings? What are ways you get involved in meetings you are not leading?